Hong Lim Park - Speakers' Corner


Rate this Park

Total Votes: 45

Visitor Info

Hong Lim Park is a site of historical and national significance. It is Singapore's first privately-owned public garden and is named after Cheang Hong Lim, a wealthy Chinese businessman, who bought the land in 1876.

One of the earliest public parks in Singapore, it was originally named Dunman's Green after the first Superintendent of Police (Thomas Dunman) who retired in 1871. The name was changed in 1876 to Hong Lim Green in honour of Cheang Hong Lim who donated the land.

During the Japanese Occupation, it was the venue for storytelling. In the 1950s and 1960s. It was used as a cricket ground by members of the Singapore Chinese Recreation Club and the Singapore Cricket Club. In the 1960s and 1970s, Chinese operas were performed on the stage. The park also served as the venue of many of the first political rallies. Right up to the late 1970s, the Green was the only major recreation space in Chinatown. It is still used for various community events through the year.

In September 2000, the Government designated the park as the venue of the existing Speakers' Corner. Abutting the park is the Telok Ayer Hong Lim Green Community Centre and the Kreta Ayer Neighbourhood Police Post.

Park users who wish to register to use Speakers' Corner can click here.

Terms and Conditions - Speakers' Corner

Please click here for the Terms and Conditions.


Facilities Available

Restroom / Toilets with outdoor shower facilities, Benches

Activities Available


Lighted Hours

The Park is lit from 7.00pm to 7.00am


Related Events


Weather Forecast

Thu, 18 Dec 2014
Partly cloudy


download map


The park is bounded by North Canal Road, South Bridge Road, Upper Pickering Street and New Bridge Rd

Park Size


Getting There


Do's & Don'ts

dos and dont

speakers' corner registration form

© 2009 National Parks Board, Singapore. Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Rate Our Website Helpline number: 1800 4717300
Information is Updated on 19/05/2013