CUGE-ECO-3118 Themed Gardens: Attracting Birds into GardensINTRODUCTION
Singapore is a city rich in birds, with close to 400 species recorded to date. Of these, more than 150 species may be encountered in urban areas. In addition to captivating human inhabitants, birds are able to considerably enhance any urban landscape by providing elements of natural colour, movement and sound, in addition to captivating human inhabitants. With appropriate knowledge and some effort, even small urban green spaces can be enhanced to be attractive to birdlife as well as human users.
This course will give participants an understanding of how to design and maintain a garden that will attract a variety of native birds. Participants will learn about the ecology of Singapore's native birds and the important role this plays in the design of a bird-attracting garden. Participants will also learn how to maintain the garden once it is operational. Case studies and an excursion to local bird-friendly gardens will be conducted.
- Singapore's Birds
- Bird-Friendly Garden Design
- Bird–Friendly Garden Maintenance and Practicalities
- Case Study of Local Bird–Friendly Gardens
- Plant Selection
- Key Features and Benefits of Having Bird–Friendly Gardens
- Park and Garden Managers
- Landscape Architects
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Low Bing Wen is a terrestrial ecologist with a particular interest in birds. He started bird-watching at the age of 10 and has since amassed more than 20 years of field experience on the birds of Singapore and Southeast Asia. Bing Wen is also a passionate conservationist and in addition to field research. He regularly conducts outreach activities to raise awareness of Singapore's birdlife and biodiversity conservation in general. He also enjoys writing and has published more than 30 scholarly and popular articles on the bird biodiversity in Southeast Asia.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT UNITS
|Certified Practising Horticulturist (CPH)||Pending|
|Singapore Institute of Landscape Architects (SILA)||Pending|
*Awarded points may differ for different sessions. Please refer to the latest mailer or contact our staff for more information.
COURSE FEES (Inclusive of GST)
|Course Fees (Inclusive of GST)|
Fees include provision of training, assessment materials, tools and equipment and refreshment. Terms and conditions apply
REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT
Please register and pay online here.
Registration closes when class is full.
*CUGE Course Confirmation Email will be sent to all trainees who have successfully registered.
Please submit your completed online application forms at least 7 days before the date of course. Course places will only be confirmed upon receipt of the duly completed application forms and payment.
Please note that only trainees who have achieved at least 75% of attendance in training will be eligible for funding and scheduled for assessment.
Mr Jason Lim
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please refer to CUGE website for the full terms & conditions.
1. Please note that your placement in the course/programme will only be confirmed upon receipt of duly completed online application forms and full payment of required course fees.
2. There shall be no unilateral cancellation or withdrawal from the course/programme once confirmation notice from CUGE confirming your registration for the course/programme is issued. There shall be no refund of course fees made by National Parks Board for any such cancellation, withdrawal or non-attendance of the course/programme.
However, subject to CUGE’s consent, applicants who are unable to attend a course/programme with valid reasons may request to defer their participation to a course scheduled for a later date or transfer their placement to a replacement participant nominated by the applicant. Such requests must be made to CUGE either by phone, email or in writing at least three working days before the commencement of the scheduled course/programme. Any request made to CUGE less than three working days before the commencement of the scheduled course/programme will not be entertained except at CUGE’s sole discretion.
3. National Parks Board reserves the right to change the details of, cancel or reschedule any programme conducted by CUGE including any change to the Trainers/Assessors, venue and the course fees if necessary or warranted by circumstances beyond our control by prior notice to you at the address / email stated in the application form.