Hong Lim Park is a site for storytelling and a place that tells Singapore’s story. Of historical and national significance, the park was originally named after the first Superintendent of Police, Thomas Dunman. But in 1876, the park’s name was changed to Hong Lim Green in honour of Cheang Hong Lim, a wealthy businessman who donated the land, making it Singapore's first privately-owned public garden.
Through its history, the park has served as an important recreational area in Chinatown and is still the venue today for many community events. It started its storytelling tradition during the Japanese Occupation. In the 1950s and 1960s, it was used as a cricket ground by members of the Singapore Chinese Recreation Club and the Singapore Cricket Club, and in the 1960s and 1970s, the storytelling resumed in another medium as Chinese operas were performed on the stage. The park also served as the venue of many of Singapore’s first political rallies.
In September 2000, in recognition of the park’s storytelling and political legacy, the Singapore Government designated the park as the venue for Speakers' Corner.
The park is bounded by North Canal Road, South Bridge Road, Upper Pickering Street and New Bridge Rd
How to get there: By MRT, stop at Clarke Quay station, Exit A
Park size: 0.97 hectares
Park lighting hours: 7.00pm to 7.00am
Nearby Parks/Park Connectors: Duxton Plain Park, Pearl’s Hill City Park, Fort Canning Park
Accessibility: Wheelchair accessible
Apply to use Speakers' Corner
Click here to apply for use of Speakers' Corner at Hong Lim Park.