Local and International Designers Participating in the Inaugural Singapore Garden Festival
05 May 2006
A total of 21 Singapore and international landscape and garden designers from the United Kingdom, France, Holland, Australia, Japan and Malaysia will be participating in the inaugural Singapore Garden Festival to be held on 16 - 25 December 2006. The international designers will be visiting Singapore from 19 - 21 April 2006.
The 21 designers are as follows:
1. Australia (2 designers)
- Jim Fogarty was the first Australian show garden designer to win a Chelsea award and he holds a number of Golds from the Melbourne and Sydney Flower Shows. Jim's design ""Lush"", unveiled at the recently concluded Melbourne Flower Show was inspired by Singapore. The ""Lush"" garden won the Best of Show, a Gold Medal in the Show Garden category as well as the Royal Horticultural Society of Victoria Comeadow Award for Outstanding Landscape Design at the Melbourne International Flower & Garden Show, 2006
- Jamie Durie runs PATIO Landscape Architecture & Design and has received over 20 garden design awards both in Australia and internationally. He is also the host of Backyard Blitz and The Block, two of Australia television's highest-rating garden shows
2. China (1 designer)
- Huang Feihu has received several Gold awards in China including the China Flowers Exposition in 2003 and 2005
3. France (1 designer)
- Sibila Jaksic is the art director with Signes, an acclaimed landscape design firm with experience in environmental, town planning and landscape design. Their award-winning designs include the Thames Barrier Park in the United Kingdom. Jacksic has won top awards in European garden and flower shows.
4. Holland (1 designer)
- Nico Wissing from Wissing Hoveniers is a pioneer of the Green City concept, advocating greening as integral to building and urban planning. Nico has won top awards in European garden and flower shows. Currently Vice President of the European Landscape Contractors Association, Nico focuses on research and looks into intensifying specialist knowledge and experience for members through international study trips and courses amongst others.
5. Japan (1 designer)
- Jun-Ichi Inada has over 28 years of design experience. Mr Inada received the Design Award at the 2004 Hamamatsu International Flower Show and Garden Festival. He was also recognised by the Japanese Institute of Landscape Architecture with the Grand Prix Award in 2004.
6. Malaysia (1 designer)
- Alvin Phang is the Creative Director of Alpine Dynamics. He is a member of the Associate American Society of Interior Design and was awarded three Golds at the Malaysia International Landscape & Garden Festival in 2004
7. Philippines, The (1 designer)
- A Certified Public Accountant turned garden designer and researcher, Nonito A Dolera has received several awards at flower and garden shows in the Philippines. He has written several papers on Orchids and judged at a number of local and international events.
8. Singapore (8 designers)
- Henry Steed is a landscape architect in a Singapore-based private practice, ICN Design Pte Ltd. He has been resident in Singapore for 23 years, working on a wide variety of master-planning and design projects covering almost all aspects of the modern landscape within the built environment. His work has taken him across the Asian region to the Middle East from Egypt to China. Henry has served on the Council of Singapore Institute of Landscape Architects (SILA) for many years and has made periodic inputs to Government Advisory Panels. Henry is also the winner of the 5th SILA Design Award Competition
- Casey Ganis part of Cicada Pte Ltd's team. His projects include the design for the SaigoMax Project in Vietnam which took a tropical garden setting, with specially created ponds and hills. Cicada's clients include the Singapore Indoor Stadium, Hong Kong Sky City and Xin Tian Di in Shanghai. Casey is also a winner of the 5th SILA (Singapore Institute of Landscape Architects) Design Award Competition
- Stephen Caffyn of Stephen Caffyn Landscape Design has over 10 years of international experience and an expanding portfolio of projects in Singapore such as HDB upgrading for Eunos and Marine Crescent and a number of upmarket private apartments. Stephen is also a winner of the 5th SILA (Singapore Institute of Landscape Architects) Design Award Competition
- Sherman Stave from Sitetectonix Pte Ltd specialises in Landscape Architecture, Urban Design and Hotel and Resort development. He is an established designer and holds a Master in Landscape Architecture from Harvard University Sitetectonix Pte Ltd has won many awards for design excellence, including Gold Medals from Singapore's Building & Construction Authority (BCA) and the recent SILA Professional Design Awards 2006
- R P Jickky is the Managing Director of Tropical Environment Pte Ltd, and has a keen interest in preserving nature. One of his recent projects, the Singapore Management University (SMU) saw him putting back half of the greenery that was present on-site. His creation of a green wall effect using hanging creepers won the Gold Award at the Landscape Industry Association (Singapore) (LIAS) Awards of Excellence
- Michael Teh from Nature Landscape Pte Ltd made his mark with landscape projects such as the grounds of top hotels Raffles and Four Seasons, and Changi International Airport. The company also won a Gold Award at this year's Landscape Industry Association (Singapore) (LIAS) Awards of Excellence. Michael is also currently the chairman of LIAS
- See Cheng Tiong is from Kosin Contractor, an award-winning firm that recently won the Gold Award in Design and Build - Residential category of this year's Landscape Industry Association (Singapore) (LIAS) Awards of Excellence with its Gilstead Brooks entry, a cluster housing of upscale terrace houses
- Danny Cheok is the Managing Director of Far East Flora Pte Ltd, which won the Gold Award in the Retail Nursery category of this year's Landscape Industry Association (Singapore) (LIAS) Awards of Excellence. Its flagship store at Thomson has about 500 types of plants presented according to species, potted into decorative pots, to showcase how the plants customers buy will appear in a home-setting. The company also specialises in landscape design
9. United Kingdom (3 designers)
- Julian Dowle is an award-winning garden designer with 10 Chelsea Golds who has also judged at the world's top flower shows including the Chelsea and Melbourne Flower shows
- Christopher Bradley-Hole is a landscape architect turned garden designer, who has won three Chelsea Gold Awards amongst various accolades
- Stephen Woodhams was one of the youngest designers to be awarded a Chelsea Gold Award in 1994. His portfolio of work includes top fashion brands such as Max Mara, six Royal Opera House Galas and the reopening of the Royal Opera House in London
10. United States (2 designers)
- Michael Bruce is an accomplished garden designer who was recently awarded Gold at the Philadelphia Flower Show 2006
- William Troy Taylor started running his family floral and landscape business at the age of 22. Since then, he has received several accolades from the Philadelphia Flower Show including Best Achievement and People's Choice Awards for his exhibits
View other media releases