Ask Jamie @ AVS

Animals allowed for sale

The following animals are allowed for sale in pet shops: 

  • Dogs
  • Cats
  • Rabbits
  • Guinea pigs
  • Hamsters
  • Gerbils
  • Mice
  • Chinchillas

Under the Wildlife Act, a person must not offer for sale or sell any wildlife except with the Director-General, Wildlife Management’s written approval to do so. Subject to the conditions listed below, the following wildlife species are approved by the Director-General to be sold or offered for sale by any pet shop or farm (as defined under the Animals and Birds (Pet Shop and Exhibition) Rules and Animals and Birds (Licensing of Farms) Rules respectively), or any licenced importer under the Animals and Birds Act::

  • Red-eared sliders (Trachemys scripta elegans)
  • All birds except house crow (Corvus splendens), white-vented or Javan myna (Acridotheres javanicus), common myna (Acridotheres tristis)feral pigeon (Columba livia), and birds which are prescribed as protected wildlife species
  • All fish except piranhas and fish which are prescribed as protected wildlife species
  • Land hermit crabs (Coenobita rugosus)
  • Moon jellyfish (Aurelia aurita)
  • Green tree frogs (Litoria caerulea)
  • American bullfrogs (Lithobates catesbeianus)
  • Crab-eating frogs (Fejervarya cancrivora)
  • Malayan box turtles (Cuora amboiensis)
  • Tubifex worms (Tubifex tubifex)
  • Blood worms (Chironomidae and Glycera spp.)
  • Daphnia (Daphnia spp. and Monia spp.)
  • Sea monkeys (Artermia spp.)
  • House crickets (Acheta domesticus)
  • Mediterranean two-spot crickets (Gryllus bimaculatus)
  • Mealworms and superworms (Tenebrio molitor and Zohobas moria)
  • Black soldier flies (Hermetia illucens)
  • Earthworms
  • Sarong worms (Diopatra neapolitana)
  • Microworms (Panagrellus spp.)


NParks is currently reviewing the species of aquatic invertebrates that are approved by the Director-General to be sold or offered for sale, and will update the list in due course.



  • The pet shop, farm, or importer must hold a valid pet shop, farm or import licence (as the case may be) under the Animals and Birds Act and comply with all conditions of the respective licence.
  • The pet shop, farm, or importer must have a CITES permit or Certificate of Origin in respect of the wildlife which is listed in the CITES Appendices.

The conditions may be amended at any time without notice.

The approval and conditions are valid as of 1 October 2020.